We all should be learning constantly so we can adapt to our fast-changing world and new communications technologies. E-learning is often a great solution because you can practically attend from anywhere at anytime. Usually it’s less expensive than traditional classroom learning and more structured and interactive than traditional books.
There’s already some free e-learning sites with high quality courses. Because free sites have less support (or no support at all) from teachers, students must use forums and other online communities to clarify their doubts.
Free e-learning sites don’t give a valuable certificate at the end of the course, but generally certification is not what digital activists are looking for.
List of free e-learning sites:
The sites bellow host many free massive open online courses (MOOC) that anyone can attend. Some of this courses are very useful for digital campaigners.
- Iversity – A german site with many courses in English. Examples: The Future Of Storytelling, Design 101 Basics, Cyber Security and Human Rights and The European Union in Global Governance.
- Khan Academy – A well known site, focused on more traditional courses. Examples: Programing, World History and Macroeconomics.
- Coursera – Has many courses of interest for online campaigners. Examples: Content Strategy for Professionals, Gamification, Creative Programming for Digital Media & Mobile Apps, Climate Change in Four Dimensions and How to Change the World.
- Google Analytics Academy – Has just one course on how to use Google Analytics. Google Analytics is probably the best web analytics software in the world and it’s free.
- EdX – Free platform with courses from american universities.
By Karl 2013/11/18 - 20:01
Great list, but you forgot Udacity and Lynda.
By Kajal Sengupta 2013/11/19 - 06:27
May I add one more name to the list of e-Learning sites. It is a site where you will find a mix of free and paid for e-learning resources. Try http://www.wiziq.com/elearning/
By Peter 2013/11/24 - 16:27
What a coincidence. I’m doing a course in iVersity, and I love it. Thanks for showing me other options.
By Paula 2015/07/31 - 09:13
Great list. I would suggest that you add EDX: https://www.edx.org/