This is a selection of cheat sheets that can be very useful for web designers, developers and content producers. They can help you to remember specific tags, pieces of code, colour values and fonts. Some describe complex quality-control or planning procedures.
- html5, quick reference guide – Four page printable PDF with a description of all html5 tags
- Character entities – Printable PDF with the most common characters that the browser can reproduce and how to represent them in html
- Character Reference Entities – The same as above, but in a web page
- Microformats – Printable PDF with vCard, hCard, XFN and other microformats
- Microformats 2 – Another alternative PDF cheat sheet about microformats
- CSS3 – Five page printable PDF with CSS3 selectors, pseudo classes and proprieties
- CSS2 – Two page printable PDF with CSS2 selectors, pseudo classes and proprieties
- Blueprint CSS framework – Blueprint is a well known CSS framework. This cheat sheet provides a quick overview
- Colour reference guide – Palette of colour codes in Hex RGB. This PDF is particularly useful if you are creating web/PDF pages to be printed, as you can easily select a colour from a printed copy
- CSS font size reference – A six page PDF you can print and view on screen, to select font-sizes.
- jQapi – Alternative jQuery documentation.
- Regular Expressions – Whether you’re searching strings or validating input fields, the use of regular expressions will save you a great deal of time.
Wordpress is one of the most popular content management systems at the moment, and it’s used in this website.
- Web Design WordPress Template Tag Reference Guide – Web page very useful for template design. Has an interactive list of template tags.
- WP help sheet – Another shorter web page with WordPress tags
- WordPress SEO – A list of tips on how to optimise WordPress for Search Engines
- WordPress 3.0 Template tags – Printable PDF with a list of tags and files to use in template design
- WordPress 3.0 Essential Functions – Another list of tags
- WordPress file hierachy – A reminder on how WordPress searches template files. Very useful, even if you are just modifying an existing template
Version Control Systems
- Bazaar – Bazaar is the VCS used in the development of Ubuntu. Cheat sheet available in PDF or SVG
- GIT – Favourite VCS of jQuery plugin developers. Just available in SVG
- Subversion Quick Reference Card – Main subversion commands and options in a two page PDF
Htaccess, Apache and http
- Apache mod_rewrite – One printable page with mod_rewrite main rules, variables, directives and other.
- Http 1.1 Status codes – Useful to debug during web development/maintenance
- Gimp Quick Reference Card – Printable PDF with keyboard short cuts.
- The Web Developers SEO Cheat Sheet – Quick two page reminder to use during SEO optimization
- 25 Point Usability Checklist – Printable test PDF and explanations of each item on the web page
- 29 navigation and IA usability guidelines – Excel .xls
- Twitter – How to search, send messages and other basic tasks in Twitter.
- Mysql – One printable PDF page with basic information about MySQL
- Php – Basic reminder of date formats, regular expression syntax and other information that php developers have to use often.
Important note: If you know other cheat sheets or checklists that are interesting for web designers, please edit this page and contribute with your suggestions. To ensure the quality of the links, all contributions are moderated.
2nd important note – The site overapi.com has an extensive list of cheat sheets with links to articles explaining each feature in detail.